Reasonable and intelligent people in the Islamic world continue to make themselves heard. Alas, too many of them are getting shot in Libya. I don’t think there are many that fail to understand what a dangerous and irrational man Colonel Qadaffi is. It’s important for all the world that he not be allowed to prevail, if he does regain full power over Libya he can be counted on to identify and kill those who have rejected him. There are things that need to be done.
1. The protesters need to write a constitution and elect a parliament, of whatever structure they choose. They need to legitimately declare the existence of a government of Libya apart from Qadaffi’s regime. The first draft doesn’t need to be great literature, nor does it need to cover every possible contingency, it just needs to establish a credible government based on the needs of the populace.
2. As the lawful government, they can establish security over the oil fields and receive the income that is, by rights, due to the people of Libya.
3. The new government should join other voices in demanding that the assets of Qadaffi, his family, his inner circle, and the old regime be frozen by international banks.
4. All nations should refuse additional sales of military materiel to the old regime, although it can be expected that there is no shortage of bullets at Tripoli.
5. Blockade Tripoli harbor and cut off the roads, other than defectors getting out. Tripoli is in the far northwest corner of the country, the rest of the country can carry on without it. In time the barriers between Libya and the dictator’s remaining force will cordon off only a few blocks.
In other words, cut Qadaffi off from the rest of the world. His mercenaries won’t fight if they can’t be paid. His regular forces will defect as food supplies dwindle. Eventually there will be one old crazed man with a small coterie of irredeemable thugs. And the day will come when even they will surrender to face trial.